The New Bendigo Hospital
A new world-class regional hospital opens in Bendigo.
The New Bendigo Hospital is a state of the art regional hospital serving the residents of City of Greater Bendigo and Loddon Mallee Region. It features the latest technology solutions, and has been designed with patients in mind. Throughout the design process, CHW Consulting regularly engaged with project stakeholders which provided an insight in how the technology could contribute to their staff and patient’s needs.
Over a span of 6 years, CHW Consulting’s was involved in the following stages:
- Contribution to Feasibility study
- Documentation of IT Services Technical specifications
- Documentation of Communications Systems Technical specifications
- Documentation of AV Services Technical specifications
- Documentation of EMR Technical specifications
- Development of Active Directory strategy
- State Technical Advisor for ICT and AV Services
CHW Consulting was responsible for ensuring the ICT requirements for the New Bendigo Hospital facility, including LAN, WAN, WLAN, Voice, Servers & Storage, Backup, VDI, SSO, Desktops & Mobile devices were captured and delivered. CHW responsibilities further extended to the integration between AV, communications, nurse call, security, Active directory, fibre infrastructure, and the FM messaging system, as well as managing the coordination, commissioning, and acceptance testing of all ICT services.
Clinical spaces now have Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) and Single Sign On (SSO) that provides rapid access to Bendigo Health desktops and clinical applications, while also allowing clinicians to move freely around all clinical spaces and continue working without interruption or login delays. The VDI & SSO deployment further enables the hospital to ensure simple and secure access to SOE applications & data with 2 factor authentication, resolving security issues related to use of generic accounts.
CHW Consulting developed the audio visual and videoconferencing strategy for the new facility including the arrangement of a centralised service and management platform for help desk and support services that can be extended to other campuses in the region. AV systems were provided by ProAV Solutions under a PPP model. CHW Consulting was responsible for reviewing all design submissions on behalf of the State to ensure they complied with the technical specifications and met the client’s functional intent. In particular, AV services in the clinical areas and specialist spaces that needed to integrate with medical equipment, clinical software and third party devices.
- As the hospital was a multi-year project, it was crucial that the technology implemented throughout the hospital was up to date and provided the best value for money. This was managed by ensuring that all technical submissions were reviewed against the latest trends within the industry. CHW also managed the procurement of all ICT equipment with Lend Lease to provide the latest available technology.
- Our 3 year engagement as state technical advisor for ICT and AV services saw us collaborate closely with all stakeholders to achieve the project’s objectives and timeline. Frequent consultation with the appointed Integrator and end-users were necessary to ensure that systems were capable of meeting the changing needs of the health industry.