The Fiona Stanley Hospital was the largest building project ever undertaken for the Government of Western Australia. The hospital utilises the latest scientific, technological, and medical developments. CHW Consulting was appointed by the managing contractor Brookfield Multiplex to develop the AV system design for the $1.76 billion project.
Our role as AV Consultant involved supporting Brookfield in their development by creating the design and tender documentation for the project. This included anything relating to the AV and videoconferencing systems throughout the project.
The Fiona Stanley campus is comprised of multiple large buildings. During our engagement on the project, we had full responsibility for the detailed design, tendering process, project management, and training coordination for buildings A, B, D, R, E, and the AV services enterprise system design. Some of the features of the building include:
- Equivalent of four city blocks;
- 150,000sqm of floor space over five main buildings;
- 6300 rooms in the main building;
- 783 beds, including 140 rehabilitation beds;
- 83% single patient rooms in main hospital;
- State-of-the-art technology built into every level of the hospital;
- More than five hectares of natural bushland, landscaped parks, internal gardens, courtyards and plazas;
- 3600 basement, ground level and multi-storey car parking bays; and
- Easy access to public transport and major roads.
In utilising our design expertise around hospital AV best practice, CHW was able to deliver AV systems for lecture theatres, seminar rooms, training facilities, operating facilities, and meeting rooms, enabling Brookfield to have expert consultants across all aspects of the project.
Because of the diversity of our team’s experience, we were capable of delivering all the spaces required by the stakeholders without relying on external expertise. This meant, as the sole designers of the AV systems, we could ensure the systems and technology were integrated across the complex project, producing an ideal outcome for Brookfield and the State.